Farmer Support Project
Sahaita launched the Farmer Support Project in late 2015. Punjab, the breadbasket of India since the Green Revolution, is enduring an epidemic of farmer suicide. Most vulnerable are small farmers and farm laborers. Bad crop seasons coupled with debt burdens have created desperation and a mirage of escape through suicide. The affected families include spouses, elder parents, and young children who are left behind hopeless. Numerous cases have been reported in a majority of villages across Punjab. Sahaita acknowledged this crisis and resolved to lend a helping hand.
Sahaita volunteers visited and assessed the needs of over 140 families in 55 villages from 5 districts. With the collaboration of Punjab Agricultural University researchers and village leaders, Sahaita developed a financial and educational support system to ensure that families are not overwhelmed by the loss of their loved ones or by financial distress that could potentially lead to that last resort.
Aklia, Atla Kalan, Bachhoaana, Bajewala, Balian Wali, Ballo, Banawala, Bandra, Bhabhme Kalan, Bhai Desa, Bhaini Bagha, Bhaini Chuhad, Bhikhi, Bodhawal, Burj Rathi, Chakerian, Dhudiawali, Dullowala, Ghurkani, Halward Barnala, Joga, Kaalia, Kotla Kalan, Labhdi, Makha, Malakpur Khiala, Mojo, Radh, Ralla, Tamkot, Ubha, Walian Wali
Chugwan, Jagga Patti, Khote, Kokri Hayer, Kokri Kalan, Kokri Phoola Singh
Bighad, Bhagi Chuhad, Jagga Ramtirath, Karad Wala, Khokhar, Pratap Nagar, Radh, Such
Sadhawala, Wara Dhaka
Funds are not distributed to families as cash, rather they are paid directly to the childrens’ schools. Our volunteers purchase food, clothing, and other essentials on their behalf and distribute as needed.
- Cost of education (including school fees, books, uniforms, shoes, transportation, etc.) for over 170 children, of which over 20 have completed undergraduate degrees in the last 2 years alone
- If a child was sponsored through 12th grade, Sahaita can work to provide specialized guidance and exam-training for placement into their field of study or work
- Food rations, warm clothing during the winter, and other basic necessities such as PPE if needed
Prevention (work in progress)
- Work proactively to prevent suicides via grassroots mediation
- Crop diversification education seminars
- Fiscal responsibility/financial management education seminars
- project Kirti – an initiative to develop sustainable farming practices
How You Can Help
Considering the enormity of the situation we need your support to realize our goal of serving more families. Donate today! There are 2 ways to support Sahaita’s farmer families.
Option 1: Donate any amount to the project. For this option select the Farmer Support Program in the drop down menu when making a donation.
Option 2: You can “adopt” (sponsor) a family for $1000 USD ($1200 CAD). This will take care of the needs for the entire family for the year. You will be matched with a family and if they are open to communication, you may contact them directly and be their beacon of hope. For this option select Adopt A Farmer Family in the drop down menu when making a donation.
Note: We understand that not everyone who wants to adopt a family is able to donate an up-front lump sum. We do accept monthly recurring payments of $83 USD ($100 CAD) that can be setup through our donation page.