Sarabha Nagar, Ludhiana (Punjab)
Bal Bhawan (Red Cross Sahaita Model School) is a home for children of physically/mentally challenged, diseased, impoverished, or incarcerated parents. This facility has two schools and a residential complex. The children are provided free boarding, education, and medical care. The most precious amenity is a fixed cradle for individuals to anonymously leave infants without judgment.
In 2005, Sahaita Founder Dr. Sandhu came across a news article about a woman in her 80s taking care of over 60 children. They lived together in a heavily neglected Red Cross facility. The lack of resources, funds, and infrastructure (let alone maintenance) were crippling. As grades dropped, so did the standard of education. Sahaita immediately offered a helping hand.
Sahaita’s Red Cross Model School at Bal Bhawan has enabled better student-teacher ratios by hiring highly educated and devoted teachers. Two years following our new management, exam results dramatically improved. Children had a 100% passing rate and the school was measured as equivalent or better than others of its kind. Some notable enhancements include:
- Introduction of extra curricular activities – To amplify the students’ various talents and interests, Sahaita introduced music and dance workshops, gymnastics classes, and vocational training programs. We are happy to highlight that one student was achieved a runner-up status in Punjab’s gymnastics competition held in Khanna City.
- Library and media room – Built with study desks and chairs, these spaces included computers equipped with educational and entertainment material.
- Facility improvements & maintenance – Sahaita constructed new bathrooms, repaired walls and ceilings, and upgraded storage rooms. We installed safety gates and improved the playground. A caretaker was also hired to maintain the school and property.
- Basic medical and dental care
- Birthday celebrations & other festivities – Neglected children often need a reminder that they are important and loved. Every month Sahaita plans birthday events and cultural celebrations. These include music, dance, and other performances by the students themselves. A favorite spectacle is the magic show put on by a previous caretaker’s son.
- Due to age limitations, many students must find other accommodations after leaving Bal Bhawan. Sahaita continues to support the education of several children who have aged out.